Thursday 31 January 2008

I walked through a very dangerous door today.


Today started off as a pretty uneventful day - I headed out to pick up some plane materials. As I was pulling into the parking lot - I noticed a sign on a nearby window "True North Cycles". As I got out of the car, I was trying to figure out where I knew the name from. I went about my business and as I returned to my car, checked my watch.... yup - I had a few minutes to spare...

I walked in to a very cool spaces filled with bike parts and some rather magnificent completed bikes in a showroom. Then a guy wearing a toque and a Volkswagen hoodie comes walking out from the back room. A good sign. After quick introductions - we dove right in.

Hugh Black (the guy has to be a dude with a name like Hugh Black!) is the man - a custom frame designer and builder. This place was awesome. He invited me to the back where the frames are made. I have to say I was totally out of my element - but I knew enough to be impressed. There were frames all around me - in various stages of construction. Hugh handed me a titanium frame - it weighed less than a lever cap!

And here is the danger part. I am often accused of not playing fair - sending photos of Rosewood & bronze, Ebony and steel. Well, today I can honestly say I know how that feels. How does one resist all that aluminum, Titanium and carbon fiber goodness hanging all around? I mean come-on... look at that gorgeous orange frame! The bug has bit hard and my drive home was filled with visions of frames dancing in my head.

Then I realized where I had seen the True North logo - Hugh had made a bike for my cousin Jake.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Konrad,

What an amazing moment for you to re connect to Jake....it must have been a good moment in many ways and I know he is missed a great deal.....perhaps this was meant to happen today, to let you know he is still very much a part of your life,

God Bless

31 January 2008 at 12:57  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Jim,

It was a pretty moving moment when I made that connection. Strange how timing works isn't it.

Take care,
Konrad

31 January 2008 at 13:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Mr Black would be open to a trade - an example of yourproduct for one of his.
rgds Mike

6 February 2008 at 18:33  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Mike,

Funny - Mr. Black and I have already talked that sort of talk.

Cheers,
Konrad

6 February 2008 at 23:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home