Monday 26 November 2007

Abs of destruction - Part I


With other equally appropriate titles like;

"Sometimes, there is not enough angry music!" and,

"Gonna cave and buy a surface grinder."



Drilling for the lever cap was pretty uneventful except for the sheer size of everything. I spent more time finding a place to stand than actually drilling!

Grinding the dovetails and the cross pins took several hours - I think I am going to need a new wheel. Then, it was time to tape the infill and start lapping. I could not procrastinate any longer.



And then I discovered a glorious benefit to building a 28-1/2" long jointer... the weight of this plane is so significant - I did not have to apply much downward pressure when lapping. All I really needed to do was get it going, steer and then stop it. No small task - but not having to push down really helped.



All the extra time spent getting the piening block perfect has certainly paid off. The sole is about half lapped, the far side is well on its way, and this side is completed. With any luck - the lapping will be finished tomorrow - stay tuned.... !

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim Shaver said...

Oh wow......That is amazing, bet the Tunes were blasting today!

Lapping can really only be accomplished with supporting Rock music ..... what is your cd of choice these days?

26 November 2007 at 19:07  
Blogger Andrew Dix said...

I'd imagine by now your abs look like a well used washboard. :)

I am kinda disappointed that you didn't finish it. I was expecting the finished plane to be the last picture of this post. Waiting for the final product isn't much fun.

Have you finished the capless No. 4 yet?

26 November 2007 at 19:25  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Jim,

They certainly were blastin! It was a mix of Death from Above and my good old standby "Tool - 10,000 days".

Cheers,
Konrad

26 November 2007 at 20:15  
Blogger Jim Shaver said...

Tell You What, leave the door opened this weekend, I can drop over and finish lapping it for you, my new hip is up to the task!

26 November 2007 at 20:17  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Andrew,

Well used yes.... washboard... not so sure:)

I was disappointed too - but it was getting late in the day and I decided to stop before I killed myself.

The capless No.4 is set to have the mouth filed tomorrow. With any luck - it will be double post day.

Cheers,
Konrad

26 November 2007 at 20:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, it is great to see your work in progress.

Do you use the paper dry when you lap?

27 November 2007 at 17:01  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Dan,

I am just sitting down sorting the photos of the completed A2. I do lap the plane with dry paper. It never gets hot enough to worry about it.

Cheers,
Konrad

27 November 2007 at 17:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home