Tuesday 27 November 2007

Abs of destruction - Part II


As soon as both sides were done, I took a break and finished the chamfering on the heel and toe of the plane. It was a perfect distraction from lapping. Here is a shot of the setup. Unfortunately - it went pretty quick so I had to return to lapping sooner than I would have liked. All in all the lapping went better than I expected. I used 32 sheets of 80 grit A275 paper. That does not sound like much except when you consider a smoother uses 4.



Lucas was on hand to help me unwrap the plane once the lapping was done.



And was quite excited to try the handle. I think the plane is as heavy as he is:)



So without further delay - here are a few shots of the lapped plane. If you click on them - a larger version will open.










Dan - this last shot is for you.

I am stopping at this stage - it will be coming to Boston as is. The sole is not "finished" in that I need to lap it again with a finer paper between the stages of filing the mouth open.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konrad,
I must say that I've been a huge fan of your work ever since seeing seeing it and one of the things that gets me excited when I see a new work in progress is that you have kept the utter simplicity of the design intact. I feel that it is this simplicity in the lines of the plane that allow ones eye's to really focus on the "look" of it in it's entirety.
In a nut shell this Jointer is simply beautiful!

Thank you,
Michael Rogen

27 November 2007 at 23:51  
Blogger Philly said...

Wow!!!!!
What can I say - fantastic!
The polished chamfers really set it off.
Congrats
Philly

28 November 2007 at 03:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Igor, It is aliiiiive!

28 November 2007 at 06:30  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Michael,

What a thoughtful and kind note. Thank-you. You have touched on something that is near and dear to my heart - design and simplicity. At some point - I want to do a comparison of this 28-1/2" jointer and the 22-1/2" version. The profiles are very different.

Thanks again,
Konrad

28 November 2007 at 07:46  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hey Phil,

Thanks buddy. The polished chamfers are really quite recent. When you get a chance to see it in person, the mirror dances from one end to the other - it is pretty cool. I even polished the ends of the sole, so the polished band wraps continuously around the plane.

Cheers,
Konrad

28 November 2007 at 07:48  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Dan,

Igor is coming to dinner!!!!

:)

Cheers,
Konrad

28 November 2007 at 07:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just brilliant Konrad

It just begs me to ask; what is it like to use? If function follows form I would guess it is a pleasure to work with.

28 November 2007 at 09:35  
Blogger Unknown said...

Konrad,
That is a beautiful jointer! You have had us waiting a long time to see the finished product. The french polish makes the infill just pop out. A very nice contrast with the steel. The detailing work is awesome. Have you logged your hours on this one?

29 November 2007 at 23:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Konrad,

It was great to see this monster plane in person at the LN Boston event today. It is simply magnificent; the photos are great, but holding this monster makes the experience complete.

It was also great to get to ask you a few questions about your work today--you were very gracious in your answers. Thank you!

Keep up the great work!

--Brian

1 December 2007 at 21:07  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your very kind comments. It was great to have so many people ask "where is it?" at the show this weekend - it made all the lapping worthwhile:)

Warmest wishes,
Konrad

1 December 2007 at 21:41  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Jay,

Thanks. I suspect that this plane is about 3 weeks working full tilt.

Cheers,
Konrad

1 December 2007 at 21:42  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home