Saturday 3 January 2015

Holiday inspiration


When I was a kid growing up, my two younger sisters and I would sleep under the Christmas tree. I am not exactly sure when this tradition started - or what on earth possessed my parents to allow it, but we did this every year until I was too old to be doing it anymore. Kind of like teenagers going out for Halloween.

The last year under the tree was marked by ‘Santa’ running over my arm with my new bicycle.

This Christmas, Lucas expressed interest in sleeping under the tree. I don’t recall this request in previous years, but was secretly pleased at the suggestion - and glad there were no bicycles on the ‘list’. We were worried he would not fall asleep - concerned about Santa’s tight schedule. But we agreed, and said that if he was not asleep by 11 - we were going to pull the plug. Neither of us expected him to fall asleep, but I ran out to the shop to get my tripod just in case. If he did manage to fall asleep... I wanted to be prepared.

Through some small miracle, he was fast asleep when we checked on him. I am not sure if he will ask again next Christmas - but secretly - I hope he does. There was nothing earth shattering about this event - but witnessing this little moment reminded me of the importance of family, and the whole point of it all.

I hope everyone was able to take some time away from their busy schedules and enjoy the company of family and friends.

Happy New Year everyone. 

5 Comments:

Blogger Narayan said...

That's a great shot, Konrad, and a great story.

4 January 2015 at 20:46  
Blogger John said...

That's some great looking wood moulding in the background.

6 January 2015 at 00:26  
Blogger Chris Bame said...

That's what it's all about. Nice story Konrad
Happy New Year!

7 January 2015 at 10:28  
Blogger pmelchman said...

those were the days!!! Happy New Year

patrick melchior

7 January 2015 at 21:59  
Blogger Unknown said...

"...reminded me of the importance of family, and the whole point of it all. "

Yup.

8 January 2015 at 16:45  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home