Wednesday 10 December 2014

2 spare XSNo.4’s - Ziricote & Desert Ironwood


I have a bit of a confession to make.

I enjoy making spare planes more than I thought I would. Don’t get me wrong - I love making custom planes, but there is something rewarding about walking to the shelves of roughed out parts, pulling a few down, and seeing what the possibilities are. I was surprised at how much I liked the naval brass with Ziricote and decided to continue exploring. This time, another Ziricote set with some sapwood on the corner, and a Desert Ironwood set that has been sitting for a very long time. This was an orphan set in that it was all that remained from a larger piece of Desert Ironwood.

Both planes are identical in spec - 5-1/2" long, with a 1-9/16" wide, high carbon steel blade and a 52.5 degree bed angle. Naval brass sides, lever cap and screw with an 01 tool steel sole.









The flash of sapwood on the rear infill reminds me of the painted flames you would see on a hotrod - the three little white tails are my favourite part. It was tricky during shaping not to loose them in the process.




The Ziricote XSNo.4 is $1,750.00 Cdn + actual shipping costs.





For an orphan set, this one turned out wonderfully. There is an incredibly bright golden spot inside the front bun - you can see it below. That same spot also appears in the rear infill, but was hard to capture in a photograph (trust me - I tried!).









The Desert Ironwood XSNo.4 is $1,800.00 Cdn + actual shipping costs.

Feel free to send me an email if you are interested in either of these planes. konrad@sauerandsteiner.com






3 Comments:

Blogger Richard Wile said...

Konrad,

Sapwood by design, hmmmm. Seems you have completely gone to the dark side!!

Sorry!

Rich

10 December 2014 at 18:08  
Blogger Konrad said...

What is it that Vader said to Luke... "you underestimate the power of the dark side?"

cheers,
k

10 December 2014 at 19:49  
Blogger Kevin Brehon said...

Given that you were once considering plastic as an infill material sapwood hardly casts a shadow!

13 December 2014 at 10:47  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home