Wednesday 1 August 2012

The first ‘production’ K7


A little over a year ago, I posted about the K13. The last line of the post was “...I wonder what a K7 will look like?” A few hours after that post, I received an email from someone saying they weren’t sure either - but they were interested in the first one.

That was pretty awesome.



With the K7 prototype completed, and waiting patiently for a year - here is the first production K7. It is infilled with some pretty amazing wood - Bois de Rose. It is also known as Madagascar Rosewood or Violet Rosewood. When you first cut into it - the color is staggering - and the ‘violet’ reference makes perfect sense. 




This quickly darkens, and as my customer described it, turns to ‘greasy black’. 




Thankfully - some of that violet color remains and is still very visible in bright light.

It has been a very long time since I have worked with Bois de Rose and I was thrilled to be able to work with it again. I also really enjoyed making another K7.
 










This K7 has the same larger scoop on the inside of the front pad. It is 7" long with a 1-3/4" wide blade and a 52.5 degree bed angle. The sides and sole are 01 tool steel and the lever cap and screw are stainless steel.






4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Brehon said...

I am really enjoying the clean, flowing lines of your "k-series" planes. A great intersection of form and function.

2 August 2012 at 20:44  
Blogger Jameel Abraham said...

The shape of the curve in the escapement area, the size and path of the chamfer, its seamless union with the bun's curve and chamfer, it all works together so beautifully. What a classic example of the removal of all undue ornament to reveal the essential design. Gorgeous.

4 August 2012 at 15:17  
Blogger Richard Wile said...

Looking good Konrad,
The larger radius on the inside of the back bun might be more comfortable for me than the original design, can't wait to give this style a spin. Might see me in a K-style yet.
As usual smokin' gorgeous wood...

Rich

5 August 2012 at 06:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konrad,

I love the Bois de Rose. Some suggest that it may be the same species revered in Ming furniture as zitanmu. I know I'm opening a mess of worms. In any case, it's a great choice. I think it's one of the most beautiful woods in the world when it ages.

I look forward to talking to you soon.

Dan

6 August 2012 at 18:56  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home