Saturday 17 March 2012

A few recent planes

The last several months have been very busy - and not only with dining room chairs. I have a few more K13’s under my belt and I am pretty sure I have worked out all the process bugs. I always find it interesting how processes evolve from one plane to the next - especially with a new model.



This is a Honduran Rosewood filled K13a. I have said this before, but this plane illustrates that it is worth mentioning again - Honduran Rosewood is a stunning infill material.










The grain in this front pad is rather ridiculous.







This next K13 is a twin to the prototype - from the same piece of wood with the same grain and color patterns.







The same curl in the front pad.




Next up is a Desert Ironwood filled SNo.4L









I never get tired of working with this amazing material.



Another Rosewood filled K13 with a striking front pad.












Last, but certainly not least, a Rosewood filled SNo.4 with some really figured infill.













I am working on a matching pair of Damascus sided planes right now - doing the final etching on the second one after I finish this post. The etching process is a really interesting one - I will do my best to document the process and post about it.

The K18 prototype is on pause right now - I have it as far as I can go without the blade. This is completely my fault - I should have sent Ron the drawings much earlier.

I have two shows coming up at the end of the month - one with Lie Nielsen at a hand tool event in Stoufville and the other is the Tools of the Trade show the following day. If you are in the area, stop by and say hello.




And a quick chair update. I have been picking away at the chairs on the weekends and the odd evening. They are coming along nicely - I have all the joinery cut and all the parts fit. The next step is to take each individual chair and do all the pre glue-up shaping.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

More gorgeous planes, the K13 just gets better looking every time I see it. Any plans for a Boxwood filled K13?

Great Read, always love looking at the blog.

18 March 2012 at 04:31  
Blogger Kevin Brehon said...

What amazes me is not just the beauty and quality of your work but your productivity as well. It would probably take me months to make one chair, let alone five and a bunch of planes as well. You must be very focused when you are in the shop.

18 March 2012 at 17:54  
Anonymous Chris Bame said...

Great stuff Konrad,
Love the lines of the K13's
Hope your saving some of that wonderful Rosewood for me :-)
Have you been keeping track of your time on the chairs Just curious how much you have in them?

19 March 2012 at 12:56  
Blogger Jamie said...

Love the planes, the timber selection is beautiful and the variations look great.

Have you done a post on how you finish the wood? they all have a good depth of finish.

Keep up the great work.

all the best

Jamie

19 March 2012 at 19:58  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Beachcricket. I was talking with someone today about infilling a K13 with Boxwood - I think it would be a fantastic infill.

Cheers,
Konrad

19 March 2012 at 20:51  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Kevin,

You bring up an interesting and important point. Focus. Focus is a bit of a blessing and a curse. I can very easily loose myself in my work and hours can go by without me realizing it. It is also the reason I do not have a cell phone or internet in the shop - planemaking is a pretty intense process.

Cheers,
Konrad

19 March 2012 at 20:53  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Chris,

Don’t worry - there is a block of Rosewood with your name on it:)

I have been keeping track of my time with the chairs. At this point, I am guessing the 6 of them will be about 12 weeks of solid work time. This includes the mock-up and all the head scratching:)

Cheers,
Konrad

19 March 2012 at 20:55  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Jamie,

The finish is french polish. I did a blog entry about it a while ago - here is a link;

http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.ca/2009/10/french-polish.html

Cheers,
Konrad

19 March 2012 at 20:57  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home