Saturday 21 January 2012

The last planes of 2011

2011 was a rather amazing year. It was the tenth year of Sauer & Steiner Toolworks and while there was not an official celebration - there were wonderful things happening all year long. The first Damascus sided plane, the pair of Bayfield planes, the rebate panel planes the K13 and my dream bandsaw - the Y30 snowflake. In my wildest dreams, I could not have predicted such a year.

As I walk across the yard to work every morning - with a coffee in hand, my camera over my shoulder, I am already smiling by the time I get to the door. I often stand on the landing just inside and look around. A mountain of wood - and the most beautiful bandsaw greet me - what more could I ask for.

Thank-you to everyone who has made the last 10 years possible. Your encouragement, support, insight and generosity have allowed me to continue. It has been a staggering adventure thus far.


Curiously - the last 4 planes of 2011 were all unhandled smoothers and all SNo.4’s.



This is a SNo.4L - 7" long with a 52.5 degree bed angle and a 1-3/4" wide high carbon steel blade. Desert Ironwood infill.














Next is a SNo.4 - 6-1/2" long, 1-3/4" wide blade, 52.5 degree bed angle and Honduran Rosewood infill.












These last 2 are a matching pair, and have a really great story behind them. They were commissioned by a friend of mine who wanted a gift for a life-long friend. This friend had helped him out during a difficult time in his life and this was his way of saying thank-you. Not only was this a great feel-good project - but they were picked up in person by both the person who commissioned them, but also the unsuspecting friend. That was a pretty great moment.



These SNo.4’s came from the same piece of Desert Ironwood.















2012 is already looking very promising - two more ‘K’ series planes are in the early prototype stages and I am working on a large furniture project that has been on my bucket list for a very long time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Richard Wile said...

Love that first plane Konrad, the desert ironwood is one of the nicest woods I have seen yet. It is getting daily use on my own major furniture project!!

21 January 2012 at 09:32  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year Konrad- as always, amazing work.
"perfectly imperfect" ; )
All the best in 2012.

21 January 2012 at 09:59  
Blogger Kev said...

Konrad great work in 2011, looking forward to some amazing posts in 2012.I'm sure you will please your wife and family as well as all the folks that follow your work,I'm sure your table and chairs project will be the bomb!!!!


God Bless!

Kev.

21 January 2012 at 19:12  
Blogger Jim Shaver said...

Konrad, it is a joy to see someone working with a passion, you make incredible tools for us to use, but more so the joy it brings you is a mutual reward. Thank you for making the Twins, they are beautiful beyond description.

I look forward to each blog update and witnessing your changes with time, you only get better my friend.

All the best to you, Jill and the Boys, the best is yet to come, Happy New 2012!

22 January 2012 at 09:47  
Blogger Jamie said...

Konrad,
Can I wish you a very Happy new Year, every time I use my laptop, one of the first 'must do' tasks, is to check what you have posted. I just love the Desert Ironwood timber with the metal sides of the Twin SNo.4's, your work just inspires me, please keep up the fantastic posts. I must read through them at least twice a week.

All the best, Jamie

22 January 2012 at 15:25  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Richard,

Glad you are enjoying the plane and getting so much use out of it. Yeah - that ironwood is pretty amazing stuff.

Cheers,
Konrad

22 January 2012 at 21:44  
Blogger Konrad said...

Happy New Year to you as well Tom. Perfectly imperfect is a good description:)

Cheers,
Konrad

22 January 2012 at 21:45  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Kev. Yes - we are all looking forward to the new additions to the dining room.

Cheers,
Konrad

22 January 2012 at 21:47  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Jim.

The twins were a pretty great project - on so many levels. I still have to pinch myself from time to time - just to make sure this is all real.

All the best to you and yours for 2012.

Take care,
Konrad

22 January 2012 at 21:50  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thank-you Jamie for the very kind comments - and Happy New Year to you as well.

Really glad to hear you have been enjoying the blog so much - it makes all my midnight entries feel worthwhile.

Best wishes,
Konrad

22 January 2012 at 21:54  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home