Saturday 20 March 2010

English Boxwood lovers beware!


This boxwood infill set has finally made its way into a plane. There were a few points where I was a little worried some of the figure would be lost as I started refining the shape. When the above photo was taken - I was gritting my teeth a bit.




But after final shaping - this is what was left. I cannot recall seeing a more figured piece of boxwood. Ever. Despite all the figure, the fitting process went very smoothly and nothing “tore out”. There were a few small pin sized voids in a few of the eyes - but a drop of CA glue filled them nicely.



Curl and birds eye - what else could one ask for!









I applied the first coat of french polish to the A7 shoulder plane last week. True to form - the Rosewood came alive.



Another view of the front infill.

The rear infill is ready to be installed and I hope to finish up the A7 this week.

6 Comments:

Blogger mckenzie said...

I really like you makers 'signature'. It's so crisp.

-tyler

24 March 2010 at 15:13  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Tyler,

I have been using the same stamp for almost 10 years now.

Cheers,
Konrad

24 March 2010 at 18:10  
Blogger Adrian Baird Ba Than said...

Very nice Konrad,as per usual.Boxwood is an exceptional material to work with,shame it falls into the same category as African Blackwood,rare & expensive.
Got to love that CA,not when it's in your good eye or on your favourite jersey though...
Looking forward to seeing the finished A7.
Cheers mate.
Black

26 March 2010 at 09:36  
Blogger David said...

Wow that box wood infill came out outstanding! Is it sold?

27 March 2010 at 00:47  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Adrian,

Tell me about the CA... I have a few spots on various t-shirts where I had to quickly sop up an oversized drip. The edge of a t-shirt always seems to catch it:)

The finished A7 should follow in a few hours.

Cheers,
Konrad

27 March 2010 at 06:44  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi David,

Sadly - the Boxwood SNo.4ss already has a home.

Cheers,
Konrad

27 March 2010 at 06:45  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home