Monday 23 June 2008

I have been “working” too.

When we were in Erie last weekend, someone commented on their recent visit to this site and wanted to confirm that I was in fact still making planes. I assured them I was, but the comment has been rolling around in my head ever since. When we got home, I checked the site and sure enough... there has not been a “planemaking” post for quite a long time. Here is what has been going on in the last two months.



Front to back; A Rosewood filled A5, an English boxwood filled A5*, an Ebony filled A6, an Ebony filled A1 panel, a Rosewood filled No.4, a Rosewood filled A5, a Rosewood filled A1 and a Rosewood filled A2 jointer.

A shot from the other side.



And some detail shots.



This is a family of 4 planes infilled with Rosewood from a single plank. The No.4 is bedded at 52.5 degrees and has a 2" wide blade. The A5 is a York pitch with a 2-1/4" wide blade and the 14-3/4" long A1 and 22-1/2" A2 are bedded at 47.5 degrees. This is going to be a fantastic set of planes to use.




* This is second boxwood filled plane I have made. The first was an XSNo.4 I made last years and I have been dying to make another ever since. Boxwood is a real treat to work with - it cuts like hard butter. I also want to thank Bill Carter for generously supplying the piece for the handle. Finding genuine boxwood is really tough, let alone something large enough to make a handle with.



This past Friday, I shaped this Rosewood handle. Above is a shot I took when I started shaping, and the black streak came alive. To me - this is what dreams are made of! Below is a photo of the handle fully shaped, sanded and ready to have the adjuster fit.



The two Ebony filled planes are at the tail end of the french polishing process - they each have 9 coats at this point and are looking magnificent.

Next update - the kitchen doors!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Boxwood is something else! Nice work all around.

23 June 2008 at 22:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, Konrad. That Rosewood is stunning.

Cheers;)

Paul Chapman

24 June 2008 at 02:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got'em Got'em Need 'em Need 'em

Take care
Jim Shaver

24 June 2008 at 09:18  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks guys.

And Jim... next month I will start taking care of one of your “issues”:)

Cheers,
Konrad

24 June 2008 at 09:23  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Konrad: Interesting how these blog things..take on a life of their own. Love the look of that number 4.

We'll get the opportunity to meet at the Woodworking in America Conference.

Neil

3 July 2008 at 06:48  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Neil,

Please introduce yourself in Berea in the fall - I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
Konrad

7 July 2008 at 20:52  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home