Tuesday 10 July 2007

The Rhythm of work


We left for the cottage this morning and after unpacking and having a quick lunch, Riley asked if he could play around with “Comic Life” on my laptop. So we fired it up, but the first thing I really did was launch iTunes and start the play list running. Then we opened Comic Life. Hmmm… that is when it hit me - I really need music to function.

Even as I am sitting here typing, there is music spewing from this laptop (A perfect Circle if you are interested). In my shop, there is a pair of wall mount speakers on each floor – fed by a 5 disc CD player that never sleeps.

Maybe it is the nature of the music I listen to. My sisters and I grew up steeped in The Beatles, Blondie, Led Zeppelin and the occasional spinning of Black Sabbath when mom was out. When I was old enough to buy my own records (yes, actual records) they were an evolution of my dad’s music – just a little heavier. It was college that really defined my musical tastes. The design and Advertising program had 30 students who were all into music. There were stereos in every room and they were blaring day and night. Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Led Zepplin, Nine Inch Nails, The Cult, Janes Addiction, Ministry, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden (1), Tool – these were our staples. We were typical students who procrastinated as long as we could, and then hit it pretty hard. We were often working until 3am, and it was the heavy droning beat that fueled us.

Much to Jill’s chagrin – I am still listening to the same type of music. When I get to the studio in the morning, the lights go on, I walk upstairs and turn on the stereo. It does not go off until I leave at the end of the day. Music sets the pace and the tone. There are even a few planes that I associate certain albums with. I am a big Tool fan, and I know each plane I was working on with each new album release. One drawback of having a 10ft window facing the house is anyone can see me grooving while I work. Well, gooving is being generous… more like mild head banging. My father in law was over one day and asked Jill what I was doing. She just smiled and explained. I still don’t think he gets it –and it’s probably better that way.

Every month or so, this issue comes up on various woodworking forums. It is always interesting to read what others are listening to while they work. But there is a common thread that ties them all together – music people really do need their music. I just hope my hearing holds out.

(1) – Appropriately renamed Hellgarden by Jill

6 Comments:

Blogger themazaman said...

Love the new Tool album. You can really get a scrub plane going during Rosetta Stoned. As far as other albums, the end of Forty Six and 2 is really good for pounding out mortices. Its good to know that other Tool Galoots are out there.

12 July 2007 at 20:29  
Blogger Konrad said...

I fear we are few and far between. I have seen them twice on the 10,000 days tour - once in Toronto last fall, and in Hamilton this past monday. Both were great shows. Pushit still gives me goosebumps.

12 July 2007 at 22:24  
Blogger Philly said...

Had to laugh when reading about your "grooving".......I do exactly the same. The Wife can see me from the kitchen and I can occasionally catch her standing in the doorway shaking her head........
Another band to check out are "Biffy Clyro" - their latest, "Puzzle", is awesome!
Cheers
Phil

13 July 2007 at 01:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konrad,

What an great topic! You could probably run a popular weekly blog on this topic alone. Music in the shop and at work is critical. When I work in the shop at night in the glare of the single halogen bulb, I prefer Morphine or the Sea and Cake. While good musical choices for woodworking are endless, it has to be something with a good groove. Keep up the great work.

13 July 2007 at 11:21  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Philly - I will check them out. Are they UK bands?

Cheers,
Konrad

16 July 2007 at 15:11  
Blogger Philly said...

Konrad
They come from Scotland, a place close to the heart of infill lovers!
here's a link...
http://www.biffyclyro.com/
Cheers
Phil

17 July 2007 at 13:17  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home