Saturday 28 November 2009

An incredible piece of Rosewood

(and another honkin’ big plane!)



I have been working on a 28-1/2" A2 jointer for the last several weeks. The infill is Rosewood, steel sides and a bronze lever cap. The set was roughed out almost 3 years ago. When I took the first cut off the rough piece I had selected, I saw this amazing pair of black lines. They were unusually straight and I knew right away that I was morally obligated not to screw up this special grain. I immediately roughed out a set for a 28-1/2" jointer. My goal was to preserve enough of the line to carry it from the front bun all the way to the rear infill.



I started on the rear infill first and was very pleased to find that the line did not disappear as the wood started to take shape.



A long view of the rear infill...


(click on the photo for a larger view)

... and a close up of a particularly nice section right beside the handle. It is hard to see it from this angle, but there is a black line in the handle that lines up perfectly with the black line on the deck of the rear infill. The planets had certainly lined up for me!




The block for the front bun is also fit, and the grain looks to be equally stunning.



And here is what I was after - that black line running from front to back.



And a close-up of the rear infill where it terminates into the sole.



The chamfers have been “roughed” on the sidewalls and the dovetails have been ground off using a bench grinder. The next step is the front bun.

12 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Amazing Konrad! this will look so good under the french polish, I wish I had the money to buy such a special piece of art(tool).
one day, I aspire to achive your precision and artistry in my wood working!
Great work!
Best regard.
David

29 November 2009 at 03:55  
Blogger Joe Powers said...

I'd love to see pictures of using the bench grinder to remove your dovetail protrusions. Thanks.

29 November 2009 at 09:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!

Serious hunk of rosewood Konrad, absolutely inspiring wood you've got there, and it's a perfect mate to that monster A-1. Congrats on the fitting, the stars definitely were aligned.(lol)

Cheers,
Steve

29 November 2009 at 14:45  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thank-you for the very kind comments David. I am dying to get some french polish on it too. It is going to be sensational!

Warmest wishes,
Konrad

29 November 2009 at 17:22  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Joe,

I will ask Jill to take a few photos next time I am grinding at the wheel.

Cheers,
Konrad

29 November 2009 at 17:23  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Steve. Sections of Rosewood do not come along too often and I like to take full advantage of it when I find it. Kinda like finding Brazilian Rosewood burl... you want to use it the right way in the right plane.

Cheers,
Konrad

29 November 2009 at 17:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konrad,

I love the traditional look of the old Brazilian rosewood with the steel. You've done a great job optimizing the figure in that one.

Unfortunately, your blog doesn't convey how well these planes work.
I am continually amazed by your planes' performance.Someone is going to cherish that plane for a long time.

Thanks for sharing the process.

Dan

30 November 2009 at 08:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

Unbelievable piece of wood - and I agree that there's nothing quite like Brazilian rosewood and a steel-sided plane. Gorgeous!

30 November 2009 at 11:17  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Dan. And I agree - the traditional look is pretty amazing (it doesn't hurt to have an incredible infill either:). "Performance" is a pretty tough thing to photograph or write about - it is one of those things than has to be experienced. And even then - not everyone will like they way they feel. But in the right hands - they are pretty amazing tools.

Warmest wishes,
Konrad

2 December 2009 at 07:53  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Raney. I fully understand why it is so highly prized.

Cheers,
Konrad

2 December 2009 at 07:54  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is one of the best I have seen yet my friend, might need to see how I could use one...

2 December 2009 at 09:28  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Jim. You do realize this is all part of the evil plot right:)

Take care,
Konrad

2 December 2009 at 20:18  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home