Saturday 28 March 2009

A new plane making jig & some upcoming shows


For the first time in a long time - I had a brief head scratching moment, and I have to say... I loved it! This was a little moments in a 793 step process - but it was great. I am working on a new variation of a smoother - an African Blackwood filled No.5. It has a coffin shape, 50 degree bed angle, 2-1/4" wide blade, but no adjuster and no cap iron. The head scratch happened when I went to clamp the rear infill in place for fitting the cross pins. On an A5 or an A6, there is a mortise cut for the adjuster and I have a very simple little block of wood that I place in the mortise and it gives me a parallel surface to clamp the infill (the top of the wooden block is parallel to the sole). In this case - there isn’t a slot, so I needed to come up with something else. A few scrap pieces of 1/2" baltic birch plywood - an offcut from the scrap box - and I had a great little jig. I lined the edges with leather so as not to mark the french polished surfaces.



Here is a profile shot for another view.



Right after the Blackwood infills were installed - I started on a new model - a SNo.4. The above photo shows the sole of the new plane in the middle. The plane at the top of the photo is a No.4 smoother - with a 7-1/2" long sole and a 2" wide blade. The plane at the bottom is the XSNo.4 - with a 5-1/2" long sole and a 1-1/2" wide blade. And thanks to a wonderful customers request - there is now going to be a plane between the two with a 6-1/2" long sole and a 1-3/4" wide blade. Man, I love my job... and my customers!


There are a few other bits of news to share - traveling news. This next weekend is going to be busy. I will be at the Lie-Nielsen hand tool event in Waterloo Ontario on Friday April 4th from 12 noon until 6, and then again on Saturday from 10 am until 5. I have participated in quite a few of these shows over that last several years and they are always fantastic. They are free to attend and very, very low key. What is so great about them is the spirit in which they are done. The focus is learning about hand tools and to provide an opportunity to try tools and ask questions. There are often several small toolmakers that Lie-Nielsen invites to attend - a great opportunity for us little guys to get out there and meet people and show our stuff. I am looking forward to seeing Deneb again, and visiting further with Sean Walsh - the Canadian LN rep.



Then on Sunday, it is off to Pickering Ontario for the Tools of the Trade show. I have been attending this show for years as well. It is a great show and the perfect place to find antique tools either for collections or for use. I keep a running list of things I am looking for on my chalkboard. There are often several of each item to choose from at the show - the selection is that good.

If you are attending either show, please stop by and say hello.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Mike said...

Hi Mr. K--what a wonderful "betweeny" size and width of iron!

Aren't solutions wonderful discoveries? They certainly bring me joy.

Have fun at the shows. It would be great to get to Canada to do one some time or another.

Take care, Mike

28 March 2009 at 13:03  
Blogger raney said...

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you may be the only guy on the planet who uses brazilian rosewood for clamping jigs.

Nice solution and all, but man - don't you have any hard maple offcuts around? lol

31 March 2009 at 15:10  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hey Mike,

I am really excited about this plane. I have the shell piened together now and hope to fit the infills tomorrow.

cheers,
Konrad

31 March 2009 at 17:26  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hey Raney,

Yeah - it is a bit goofy using Brazilian for a jig... but it was an offcut from a handle so it was perfectly parallel,square and the correct thickness. It was faster than using maple. Long live the scrap box!!

Cheers,
Konrad

31 March 2009 at 17:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would be cool if you could bring an 'in progress' plane or two to the Lie-Nielsen event this weekend :)

2 April 2009 at 10:38  
Blogger Konrad said...

What stage would you like to see?

Cheers,
Konrad

2 April 2009 at 12:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home